Monday, April 8, 2013

The Monastery

This is the Monastery in Petra. It's quite a walk to this place including a climb up 800 steps along a narrow canyon with steep drop-offs.  Jim didn't want to go but suggested I hire a guide to take me up there and back on a donkey.  We hadn't gone 100 yards before I was regretting the whole thing.  Hearing my brothers laughter didn't help.

The donkey had a mind of his own and would veer off the trail in defiance of his master (did I mention that there were steep drop-offs next to the trail).  I noticed that no one was riding any of the donkeys coming down (did I mention that it was steep in places).  I felt lucky to have survived the trip up hill, but the sight of the Monastery made it all worth it.  After all, when am I ever going to have another opportunity to experience this?

No problem going down hill on a donkey.  Don't know why others pass on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment